Tuesday, September 27, 2005

yours to discover

"Hi."
She had been walking behind me for blocks. It was about 1 in the morning.
"Hey! Hi," she said again, this time slightly louder.
It appeared that I would have to answer her. So much for my precious late-night solitude.
"Hello."
"Where ya goin?"
It was one in the morning. Where would I be going?
"Just home, I guess. Nowhere in particular."
"I was just at my girlfriend's house."
"Oh yeah?"
"Yeah!"
She was oddly exuberant, and seemed really eager to hang out, for whatever reason. She was wearing a sweatshirt, about three sizes too big, and clearly didn't subscribe to the "less is more" credo of makeup application.
"So, umm...what are you doing out this late?" I asked her.
"I was just working."
"Really? What do you do?"
I can be really dim sometimes.
After pausing and looking me over, she said "It's 40 dollars or 60 dollars."
Oh.
"Yeah, uhh...I'm not really looking for that...sorry."
She looked genuinely disappointed.
"Sorry," I said again. "You know, you could probably get more than forty bucks."
I didn't know that she could. She wasn't all that cute.
She just mumbled something and walked away.

How was I supposed to know? Where I come from, the hookers look like...well...hookers.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where were you? Not in the good ol' D?

6:03 PM  
Blogger Pj said...

See post from Sep 22; that's where I was and where I am.

1:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you are no longer a Detroiter, but an Ottawanian (sp?) / Canadian?

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home