Wednesday, June 22, 2005

bandwagons

Naturally, with the Pistons back in the NBA Finals, lots of fair weather fans have begun to embrace the team. The self-proclaimed "real" Pistons fans are annoyed, insisting that these Johnnie-come-latelys have no real stake in the team.

I welcome the latecomers, the fickle fans. What are people upset about? Apparently, the expanding Piston fan base has tweaked a nerve with you die hards. I know, I know...it felt like you were part of something special, but now that your friend's mom has a Pistons flag on her minvan, it doesn't seem like that anymore.

Utter nonsense.

Bring it on. Everyone. The whole city. I want every last Detroiter to be a Pistons fan. Isn't it much more fun that way? I'd like to be a part of something big and meaningful, as opposed to being privy to some inbred secret that no one else knows about.

Music fans, this relates directly to YOU. Indie rock twerps are often upset when their favorite band gains mainstream acceptance. Suddenly they have to watch the band with thousands of people, instead of hundreds. Oh, the horror.

I understand how offensive and annoying it is when something very real to you is watered down and packaged for mass consumption. I empathize; I really do.

But perhaps the masses are not so bad. I am NOT the biggest fan of humanity as a whole, but by and large people are pretty goddamn decent. They may not own every obscure 7" of the Eskimo Leftists like you (you dork), but MOST of them probably like the band for the right reasons. Sure, some people probably just think the singer is hot, but honestly, who really cares? I wish Teenage Fanclub were as big as Oasis.

The only thing worse than bangwagon fans are the people who bitch about them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home