Tuesday, April 26, 2005

influences

So I'm listening to FM96 online...just to hear them play us, really.

Observations:

Commercial radio is still garbage. FM96, admittedly, is slightly less icky than most. They do make a concerted effort to break new music. Good for them; it's not easy to swim against the corporate tide.

But then the bad news: the new music. As it turns out, it isn't all that much better than what currently stinks up our airwaves. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Most indie bands, while not entirely wretched, are the very epitome of gener-rock. Seriously...what are you people listening to? I suspect you all own the same ten CDs.

I've decided to offer my services. Improve your influences (and, consequently, your boring, faceless band) in just months. Here's the deal:

Your band probably does suck, but it's not entirely your fault. If you listen to crap, you can't really be expected to play anything but crap yourself. So, simply e-mail me and I will provide you with music to better inspire you. Consider it a summer "reading list" for songwriters.

Do I know better than you? Well, I've never met you, but...yes.

You're welcome.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You seem to offer a lot of perspective and advice as per the kind of musich middle America should be rocking out to. But have you ever stopped to consider that perhaps there is no way to qualify which ten CD's make the cut, and which don't? I would wager that a lot of young people - and consequently young bands - are listening to bad music, but they'll figure it out. And if they don't, then they'll more than likely fold right into the mainstream...

2:38 AM  
Blogger Pj said...

I never said anything about limiting my "list" to just 10 CDs, nor did I specifically target middle America. Obviously, musical taste is completely subjective, so those that "make the cut" will be my personal favorites. That is the only qualifier. In this case, I am the sole arbiter of all that is cool and uncool.

Yes, it's entirely possible that these bands will "figure it out" and come to realize the folly of their ways without my influence. You needn't point out the utter incosequentiality of it all. I'm fully aware of that, but an hour of being immersed in such "music" tends to spur me, like any self-respecting music fan, towards extreme measures.

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home