Friday, December 14, 2007

Sesame Street

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJlkplvYdgA

One of my favorite bits. The show was brilliant in its heyday.

Not everyone agrees, though:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/magazine/18wwln-medium-t.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

I don't care much for the "new" Sesame Street or its safe, toothless segments. The gentrified (there's a goddamn coffee shop now!) street - once a wonderfully quirky avenue of irreverent diversity - has become a parody of itself, a touchy-feely world where characters and conflict are innocuous and dull. The most complex and entertaining muppets have become more generically cute, and now suffer from a stifling sameness that robs the show of all the youthful energy that made it so great.

I miss when skits would end in pandemonium for no apparent reason. I miss when Oscar was truly grouchy, bordering on misanthropic. I miss when Snuffleupagus was merely a figment of Big Bird's imagination. I miss Kermit's disenchanted smirk, and his slightly condescending attitude towards the other muppets. But most of all, I miss the old Cookie Monster: a loud, boisterous cookie junkie whose one-track mind could think of nothing but eating. Child's First Addict, indeed. His very existence reflected the nature of the show back then; Sesame Street taught kids plenty, but every skit didn't have to be a "lesson", or even make any sense at all.

It's still a clever show, but it's not the eccentric bunch of weirdos it once was.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss when 'Watership Down' was just a story about a bunch of bunnies...

2:32 PM  
Blogger Chellen said...

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/18/180249&from=rss

I guess it was okay to mess us up, but not the kids of today.

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't get upset, don't get upset - i not fussy.

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the pressing issue here is why is a middle-aged man still watching Sesame Street for its entertainment value when he doesn't even have children?

4:57 AM  
Blogger Pj said...

Anon4 - I can only assume you're talking about someone else, since I'm not middle-aged...yet.

It's true that I don't have (or want) kids, but the muppets have always amused me.

I was sick, home from work...hell, it beats the View...

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of these things (is not like the others) - and you don't have to justify anything to that one... ;)

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home