Friday, October 19, 2007

Weber

How would you pronounce that word?

Me too.

But here in Waterloo, everyone says "weee-br"...

I went to the Taco Bell on Weber Street after work today...
"So that's one bean burrito?"
"Yeah, with extra cheese."
"OK...would you like to donate a dollar to stop world hunger?"
Did she really just ask me that?
"Umm...that seems a bit ambitious."
"It's just one dollar."
"So where does the money go?"
She seemed confused.
"I don't really know."
"Well, who gets the money? Does it go to you?"
"No!"
"Someone must be collecting this money...what kind of group is it?" I thought it was a legitimate question. My tax dollars are already being misspent in two countries.
"Look, I don't know anything about it...just forget it."
"I was just wondering...I mean, you asked me-"
"You didn't have to be a jerk about it."
Now I am kind of a jerk, but there's NO WAY she could have known that. I just wanted a burrito.

I can't believe I'm about to write this, but...I miss the 8-mile Taco Bell.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate. I was in the drug store the other day, and upon checkout, the woman behind the counter asked me if I'd like to donate a dollar to the Children's Health Foundation. I politely declined. She had the audacity to ask me why (in front of a collection of other harried shoppers). To which I drolly replied: 'I don't LIKE children...as evidenced by my purchases'. I was picking up my birth control prescription, a box of condoms and a health magazine with a cover story about content, unmarried, childless 30-something women (otherwise known as 'Cat Fancy'...LOL - jk...it was 'Car & Driver'). The look of horror on her face was all the satisfaction I needed... :)

4:16 PM  
Blogger Pj said...

Nice.

In the words of George Carlin: "Kids are like any other group of people: a few winners, a whole lotta losers."

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home