Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Elegy

You always kept me moving
allowing me to go
to leave
to escape
not to any particular place, necessarily
Just to traverse, to be in transition
in between one place and another

It wasn't so much the leaving
well, it was, in a way
but definitely not the arriving
so much as the going
somewhere...anywhere
Not the road less traveled
or oft traveled
but any road
where there was rarely a way out
but always a way

Remembering your unremarkable appearance
your indifferent black exterior
You weren't into looks
colors, textures, and shapes were incidental

Songs we heard
the soundtrack to my aimless peregrinations
the chorus to "Here Comes a Regular"
that still reminds me of you

Not a person
you were too reliable for that
serving a singular purpose
better than any human could

You didn't give me answers
but you were always there
to move me
when I needed to be moved

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come back to life, please.

"And even if you're in the arms of someone's baby now, I'll drink a great big whiskey to you anyway."

I sure did tonight.

4:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home