Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Master of subtlety?

The Hat has a new song up at Pure Volume:

http://www.purevolume.com/ruthshat

The three songs from that recent session - all available at the aforementioned address - may have finally captured our live energy. The libidinously bluesy "Show Me," in particular, was a blast to lay down. It really shows how far the band has come since the sloppy poppy days. More importantly, though, it reveals our consistency of purpose. We may be tighter and more refined as a unit...but we still just wanna shag you. Hell, I'm still chuckling because I said "unit."

When I played "Show Me" (the new tune) for my parents, my mother was confused.

"I don't get it," she said. "You show me yours and I'll show you mine?"
"Mom, you've heard that before...it's just one big euphemism."

Umm...everyone got it, right? We're not going to have to break into discussion groups to cut through the freakin' subtext in "Show Me," are we? It's about as subtle as a root canal, people.

Natalie, our eminently capable merch girl and Mike's muse, suggested that I actually call the song "One Big Euphemism." Funny, to be sure, but I think I'll stick with "Show Me" for now. My self-conscious streak has already tweaked some people, as evidenced by this review we received for "Hitchhiker's..":

"A fresh-faced, party-happy, indie pop band whose members think they're clever."

Hopefully we aren't too clever to be sexy. Because "Show Me," like rock n' roll itself, is pure sex. And if Mike and I perform it in the spirit it was intended, the cameras will only be allowed to shoot us from the waist up.

Oh yes.

If you don't know what the hell I'm talking about, just watch some old Elvis footage.

P.j.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pj said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Pj said...

Oh, come on...it was the royal "you." We don't want to shag EVERYBODY. Who has that kind of time? The important thing here is the sentiment itself, not who the sentiment is for. Unless, of course, you want to shag me...then the song is specifically about YOU.

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home