Saturday, July 22, 2006

soundtrack to my life, volume III

The Figgs - "Favorite Shirt"

When I first saw the Figgs circa 1995, I was immediately mesmerized by them. It took only a few chords for the band to blow me away. They were up there smoking, drinking, and hitting every goddamn note they sang. After only a few songs, they tore into "Favorite Shirt", complete with those stop-on-a-dime rock n' roll breaks that make you want to pump your fist. The crescendo of the song soon arrived, when the hits are doubled up, matching up perfectly with the phonentics of the words: once I had my favorite kind of ice cream. These breaks are as explosive as anything you will ever hear in rock n' roll. This lyric - which, on paper, doesn't look like much of anything - sounds powerful and profound when delivered by the mighty Figgs. Hearing it live, for the first time, was at once transcendent and cathartic; it literally gave me chills. It was at that point that I turned to Mike and said, "This is the kind of band I want to be in."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home