Monday, November 14, 2005

double binds

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars..."

- Jack Kerouac

Kerouac might describe madness as little more than passion with no particular place to go. I suppose I'm too cautious to be mad, but too passionate to be unequivocally cautious. What does that mean? I have no idea...but it's as good a reason as any for being awake at 3 in the morning.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Passion is all well and good, Pj, but is does tend to consume one whole (Amiel).

Cicero said, "He only employs his passion who can make no use of his reason." Which makes sense. I'm not trying to throw wrenches into your arguement, but passion is dangerous. Passion is one of those carnal things that defies all logic and reason.

Lord Byron likened a life of passion to living in a perpetual earthquake. And I think he's right. It's ups and downs and so many lows...but so many highs. It makes the heart beat faster and delivers crushing blows. It makes one thrilled to face a new day, but also chains one to the bed, scared of what their passion has produced.

Of course...I'm a bit of an overly passionate person myself...so, I choose to listen to Diderot:
"Only passions, great passions can elevate the soul to great things."

Here endeth the quoting.

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home